1924

31 March: Box Hill Technical School for Girls and Women opens in the original Box Hill State School No. 2838 with 65 junior students. Miss Ruth Evans is the Principal, and Mr E.W. Greenwood MLA is the first President of School Council.
28 April: 161 senior students begin their studies at the school.
4 September: The school is officially opened by the Minister for Education, Mr John Lemmon, MLA.

 

1936

7th October: the first of many new buildings for the school – which now has 328 students – is opened by the Minister for Public Instruction, Dr. John Harris.

 

1943

2 February: The Box Hill Boys’ Technical School opens with 470 students.
25 May: The Box Hill Boys’ Technical School is officially opened.

 

1963

Box Hill Girls’ Technical School runs a fifth form class in commercial subjects for the first time.

 

1964

Box Hill Girls’ Technical School introduces a Leaving Technical Certificate.

 

1967

Post-secondary classes commence at both technical schools. The first of these is the Certificate in Business at Box Hill Girls’ Technical College, quickly followed by Certificate courses in Engineering and Electronics at Box Hill Boys’ Technical School.

 

1971

30 March: Box Hill Girls’ Technical School becomes Whitehorse Technical College.
17 September: the Hon. L.H.S. Thompson MP, Minister for Education, officially opens the new Box Hill Girls’ Technical School building.

 

1974

The purchase the Box Hill Gas Works site in Elgar Road leads to the development of a multi-storey campus exclusively for TAFE courses at Box Hill Technical School

 

1981

Technical and Further Education (TAFE) is established as a form of tertiary education in Victoria, separate from the technical education offered in secondary technical schools.
1 October: Box Hill Boys’ Technical School is officially renamed as Box Hill College of TAFE, reporting to the TAFE Board. Six other colleges are also declared Colleges of TAFE.
1 December: Whitehorse Technical College becomes Whitehorse College of TAFE.

 

1984

25 January: Whitehorse College of TAFE (originally Box Hill Technical School for Girls and Women) and Box Hill College of TAFE (originally Box Hill Boys’ Technical School) amalgamate to form Box Hill Technical School.
By an Order in Council, Box Hill College of TAFE and the Whitehorse College of TAFE amalgamate to form Box Hill College of TAFE.

 

Late 1980s

Most of the college’s local students now come from the north-eastern corridor, taking in Doncaster, Templestowe, and Eltham.

 

1991

Doncaster Campus opens, enabling Box Hill College of TAFE to provide more courses to meet increased demand from the north-eastern corridor.

 

1994

Box Hill College of TAFE has an enrolment of 26,000 students on five main campuses. Nearly 2,000 students are undertaking courses at Doncaster, including Library & Information Studies, and Health & Community Studies. The college also offers on-site courses to industry organisations in Australia and overseas.
Box Hill College of TAFE buys a site in Nelson Road, formerly the Holeproof factory, and work begins to establish another local campus.

 

1995

1 October: the college’s name changes to Box Hill Institute of TAFE.

 

2013

Box Hill Institute of TAFE becomes Box Hill Institute.

 

2011

Merger with CAE – Centre for Adult education.

 

2015

Box Hill Institute opens the new Lilydale Community Campus.