VCE, VCAL & iVCAL
Head of School, Foundation Studies and Adult Learning
Michael Meehan has worked with Foundation Studies students, and in particular, youth at risk for more two decades. His experiences include teaching and assessing VCE Mathematics; general education for adults; starting up an art gallery to inspire Koorie students to learn; managing youth programs; and integrating all aspects of digital literacy, software and hardware into the curriculum. Previous to this, Michael was in the Tourism industry both as a travel agent manager and trainer. He has worked with many airlines and travel groups training their staff in various subjects including communications, destinations and computer systems. Past students have referred to Michael’s teaching methods as 3D because of his unique approaches to teaching and learning.
Michael has been actively involved in the development of curriculum for Foundation Studies students, emphasising making lessons as real as possible. This includes using real world experiences, real world work patterns and real world technology. His passion for education and improving youth has led him to Nepal to work with the street children of Kathmandu, co-author a book on Nepal Street Children and train teachers from impoverished rural community schools. When possible, Michael returns to Nepal to visit those he has worked with and also climb a mountain or two.
- Masters of Education (specialising in Adult and Work-based Learning)
- Bachelor of Education (Adult and Secondary streams)
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Certificate III in Tourism
- Finalist CEO Award for Professional Excellence 2014, Box Hill Institute Staff Achievement and Recognition Program
- Finalist Innovations Award 2014, Box Hill Institute Staff Achievement and Recognition Program
- AVETRA (Australian Vocational Educational and Training Research Association)