Battle of the Bands
Box Hill Institute has partnered with Surrey Hills Music Festival to run a Battle of the Bands competition for local high-school-age students in the Whitehorse and Boroondara municipalities.
There’s a number of prizes on offer, including studio time at Box Hill Institute’s prestigious new Sing Sing East studio, performances at the Surrey Hills Music Festival, and more.
- 1st prize: 1 x day in Sing Sing East studio with engineer (value $1800) plus performance at Surrey Hills Music Festival
- 2nd prize: 1/2 day in Sing Sing East studio with engineer (value $900) plus performance at Surrey Hills Music Festival
- 3rd prize: Prize pack from Camberwell Music Junction Gift Voucher ($100)
The entries will be judged by a panel of Box Hill Institute staff, music industry experts and a Camberwell Music Junction.
The top five (5) bands or artists selected by the Panel will be invited to perform at BHI’s venue (“Final Event”). This performance will be alcohol-free and take place on a Saturday afternoon, on Saturday 10th November 2018.
The winner and the runner-up entries will be selected by the Panel during the Final Event.
How to enter:
To enter in the competition, email a video or mp3 of your song to email@example.com with “Box Hill Battle of the Bands Entry” in the subject line.
To ensure your entry is valid, please include the following in your email submission:
- Your band or solo artist name
- Name of your entry song
- Telephone number
- Proof of age
If you, or any of your band members, are under the age of eighteen years, you must have parental consent included in your submission.
We must receive your entry to the Competition by 5:00 pm Australian Eastern Time (AEDT) on 26th October 2018. Entries received after this closing date will not be considered.
Terms & Conditions
- The Box Hill Battle of the Bands competition to win recording studio time with a sound engineer at the Sing Sing East studio located at Box Hill Institute’s Nelson Campus, Melbourne, Australia and (for the winner) a performance slot at the Surrey Hills Music Festival (the “Competition”).
- The Competition will be conducted and prizes awarded in accordance with these Competition Rules.
- The Competition will be operated jointly by Box Hill Institute and Surrey Hills Music Festival.
- The Competition is open to those from any band or solo artist (“You”).
- Employees of Box Hill Institute (“BHI”, “We”), or their family members, or anyone else connected with the Competition may not enter the Competition.
- To enter the Competition, You must email a video or mp3 of your song to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Box Hill Battle of the Bands Entry” in the subject line.
- By entering the Competition You are accepting these Competition Rules.
- If you have any questions on how to enter, please e-mail us at email@example.com with “Box Hill Battle of the Bands Competition” in the subject line.
- When sending in your Competition entry, You must provide your name, age, your band or solo artist name, name of your entry song, telephone number, e-mail address and proof of age. We will only use this information in relation to the Competition (including checking your eligibility to enter it and announcing the winners) and will not use it for any other purposes whatsoever. We will not keep this information for longer than is necessary for the operation of the Competition.
- If You are under the age of eighteen years, You must provide evidence of parental consent to Your entry into the Competition at the time of sending in Your Competition entry. If You are aged under eighteen years and do not provide such evidence of parental consent, Your entry will not be considered.
- No restrictions on the amount of entries to the Competition.
- Your video must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If We have reason to believe Your video is not your own work or otherwise breaches this provision, then We reserve the right to not display or to cease to display your entry.
- The Competition will commence on 26th August 2018. We must receive your entry to the Competition by 5:00 pm Australian Eastern Time (AST) on 26th October 2018. Entries received after this closing date will not be considered.
- You will compete for the following prizes:
- The winner will receive eight (8) hours studio time worth approximately AU$1200 and a performance spot in the Surrey Hills Music Festival;
- The first runner-up will receive four (4) hours studio time worth approximately AU$ 600; and
- The second runner-up will receive a gift voucher donated by Camberwell Music Junction worth AU $100; together (the “Studio Prize”)
- Except as otherwise set these Competition Rules, You must pay all costs associated with your Competition entry and claiming the Studio Prize, including but not limited to airfares, hotel, per diem costs and transportation, travel and medical insurance.
- The winner and runners up will be notified either by email or telephone on or at the final event on Saturday 10th November 2018. At the time of notification the winner will be given details of how to arrange the studio time part of the prize.
- The prizes cannot be exchanged or transferred by You and cannot be redeemed by You for cash or any other prizes.
- We will substitute the prizes with other prizes of similar value in the event that the original prizes offered are not available.
- The entries will be judged by a panel of Box Hill Institute staff, music industry experts and a representative from Camberwell Music Junction (“Panel”), who will be looking for originality, innovation and creativity as well as basic music ability.
- The top five (5) bands or artists selected by the Panel will be invited to perform at BHI’s venue (“Final Event”). This performance will be alcohol-free and take place on a Saturday afternoon, on Saturday 10th November, 2018
- The winner and the runner up entries will be selected by the Panel during the Final Event.
- All winning entries will be announced on BHI Facebook page fb.com/boxhillmusic and Surrey Hills Music Festival Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SurreyHillsMusicFestival/ ills Music Festival Hon Saturday 10th November 2018 or (if BHI or Surrey Hill Music Festival needs to delay this publication for any reason) at a later date.
- The decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winning entry will be published on BHI Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BoxHillMusic/ and BHI YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/BoxHillInstitute and Surrey Hills Music Festival Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SurreyHillsMusicFestival/ from the week commencing Monday 12th November
- You own the copyright to Your Competition entry as its author. You represent and warrant that you have (and will continue to have during the duration of the Competition) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions which are required to enable BHI to use your Competition entry and that the entry is your own original work, that it is not defamatory, obscene and that it shall not infringe any third party rights including, without limitation, privacy. You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request. We reserve the right not to display or to cease to display your Competition entry for any or no reason including, without limitation, if we deem that your entry is in breach of this paragraph 25 or is in breach of any applicable law or regulation or otherwise may create a liability for BHI.
- By submitting an entry to the Competition, You give BHI:
- permission for your entry to be broadcast on the BHI website, the Surrey Hills Musical Festival website, the YouTube website and grant BHI royalty-free, worldwide licence to publish, copy, reproduce, adapt, modify and distribute your Competition entry in electronic format for any purpose; and
- the right to use your name, age and town or city of residence for the sole purpose of identifying You as the author of your entry.
- Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted.
- We take no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt.
- No purchase is necessary.
- To be eligible to enter You must like and follow BHI Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BoxHillMusic/, the BHI Instagram page @boxhillmusic , the Surrey Hills Music Festival Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SurreyHillsMusicFestival/ and the Surrey Hills Music Festival Instagram page @surreyhillsmusicfestivalau
- The winner and runners up may be required for promotional activity.
- Nothing in these Competition Rules shall exclude the liability of BHI for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence.
- BHI accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by You as a result of entering the Competition or accepting the prize. BHI further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to You or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition.
- BHI reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice. The decision of BHI in all matters under its control is final and binding.
- BHI shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
- The Competition will be governed by the laws of the State of Victoria.