Click here to watch the introductory video
The primary objective of this course is to help you prepare for entry-level positions in the ICT field. Job titles include enterprise technician, IT administrator, field service technician, call centre technician, help desk technician, and PC or support technician. In addition, the curriculum helps you gain confidence with the components of desktop and laptop computers by teaching the proper procedures for hardware and software installations, upgrades, and troubleshooting.
After completing the IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course, you will be able to complete the following tasks:
- Define information technology (IT) and describe the components of a personal computer
- Describe how to protect self, equipment, and the environment from accidents, damage, and contamination
- Perform a step-by-step assembly of a desktop computer and install and navigate an operating system
- Explain and perform preventive maintenance
- Explain the steps of the troubleshooting process and perform basic troubleshooting
- Upgrade or replace components of a laptop, printer, or scanner based on customer needs
- Configure computers to attach to an existing network
- Implement basic physical and software security principles
- Apply good communications skills and professional behaviour while working with customers
- Assess customer needs, analyse possible configurations, and provide solutions or recommendations for hardware, operating systems, networking, and security.