Certificate IV in Music Industry (Specialising in Hip Hop)
Do you want a career in the music industry working as a MC, lyricist, producer / beat maker or music business entrepreneur? Then the Certificate IV Industry, Specialising in Hip Hop is for you. Box Hill is offering Australia’s first recognised music qualifications designed for the modern Hip Hop artist, who wants to produce, manage and develop their own career.
Real life industry experiences and facilities include:
- Access to our studio facility including Sing Sing East.
- Do real gigs in front of live audiences
- Industry standard writing and production suites
- Integrate with our record label on campus, Tremorverse Records
- Work in a 200+ capacity live venue
- Record, mix and produce your own portfolio
- Access to our Analogue Synth Collection
- Study with like-minded creatives and expand your industry network
- Learn from industry professionals
- Music Business training
- VSL (Vet Student Loan), Govt Subsidised Place, Payment Plan – with no up front fees
|Study Level||Certificate IV|
FT: 6 months
|Course Type||Victorian TAFE Course|
|Campuses||Box Hill Campus|
|Tuition Fee Type||Estimated Fee|
|Gov. Subsidised - Standard||$1,505.00|
|Gov. Subsidised - Concession||$301.00|
|Full Tuition Fee||$3,591.00|
|Service Fees||Estimated Annual Fees|
|Service & Amenities*||$155.00|
|Core Skills Support**||$75.00|
|Annual Material Fees||$214.56|
|Retain Course Items***||No fee applies|
* Does not apply to VETiS or Short course students.
** Does not apply to VETiS, International students, Short Courses, Graduate Degrees , or re-enrolling students who re-enrol in the same course.
***Retained Course Items are purchased by the student once prior to commencing. The course items bought by the student become the property of the student. Such items retain a generic application for other purposes outside the student's course of study (e.g. textbooks).
Annual student tuition & material fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Fees listed are for 2019 and may increase annually over the duration of delivery. Advertised start dates and delivery locations are subject to viable student numbers. For more information please contact our Course Advisors on 1300 BOX HILL.
Februray and July
Full time: 6 months
- have successfully completed Year 11 or equivalent, or be a mature age applicant
- have good written and oral communication skills
- have good computer skills
To apply, you will need to prepare a folio that includes a combination of some of the following: a bio, press release, reviews, body of work (daw files, mp3’s, sound cloud, YouTube etc.) or a live demonstration. Please note, you do not need to supply all, what we are looking for is evidence of your abilities.
Successful applicants will need to do a core skills diagnostic assessment as part of the enrolment process. This is a Government requirement for all Vocational student.
To assist prospective students to determine whether a course is suitable and appropriate for the individual needs the Institute and CAE will assess all students’ language, literacy and numeracy and digital literacy by asking you to undertake a self-assessment review prior to the enrolment.
A course advisor will discuss the outcomes of the review and make recommendations about whether the course is suitable for you, and identify additional support where required.
After successful completion you will gain credit when applying into all of the Box Hill Institute music Diploma and degree programs. This includes Music Business, Sound Production, Performance and Composition.
Direct entry. You will need to:
- book an interview
- attend your interview, where you will be discussing your skills and passion for Hip Hop music, as well as an introduction to the requirements of the program. We suggest that you bring supporting evidence of your work and profile. This can include press shots, a bio, examples of your music (MP3, YouTube, SoundCloud etc.).
Interviews are now taking place with the course starting 23 April.
Applicants who are unable to meet the entry requirements can complete an intensive preparation program and then enter the Diploma.
Successful applicants will need to do a core skills diagnostic assessment as part of the enrolment process. This is a Government requirement for all vocational students.
Recognition of Prior Learning is available.
This course is government accredited and has national recognition
The qualification is aligned with the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level 4
After you complete this course, you can apply for roles such as:
- song writer
- venue booker
- studio assistant
- label manager
You’ll need to complete 14 units (4 core and 10 electives).