Certified Passive House Designer
This course is aimed at ALL Building Professionals, including Architects, Building Designers and Mechanical, Civil, Structural and Electrical Engineers, Building Contractors and teachers looking to learn the skills and knowledge required to understand how to design build to the International Passive House standard.
This course involves a combination of lectures, group design and calculation exercises and workshops in preparation for the exam. On completion of the course there is the opportunity to sit the examination which is set by the Passivhaus Institut (Germany) and takes place all around the world on four pre-determined dates per year. On successfully completing the exam you will receive the internationally recognised accreditation as Certified Passive House Designer.
Certification as a Passive House Designer by the Passive House Institute (PHI), Darnstadt, Germany will only occur on successful completion of the PHI exam which will be held at Box Hill Institute (date to be confirmed). Additional fees will be charged to sit this exam.
Pro Clima Australia Pty Ltd offer a Passive House Design Scholarship. All enrolled applicants have the opportunity to apply. The successful applicant will receive full subsidy for the Australia Passive House Association Certified Passive House course delivered by Box Hill Institute and the externally assessed exam. To apply, visit www.proclima.com.au/scholarships2017/.
Passive House Course and Exam Enquiries;
|Study Level||Short Course|
Clare is a specialist in Passive House, with skills ranging from design through to certification.
She is currently the Principal Sustainability Consultant at Grun Consulting - experts in ESD for town planning, multiple rating tools including LEED, Green Star and the Living Building Challenge, and energy ratings including NABERS & CBD. Grun Consulting also offers Triple Bottom Line consulting for organisations, including application of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) framework.
Clare is also currently the Director and Chair at Australian Passive House Association. The Australian Passive House Association is an independent, not-forprofit organisation which aims to promote Passive House principles as a way of providing superior indoor
comfort and air quality while reducing energy use and carbon emissions from Australia’s buildings. Their mission: To Promote the Passive House standard in Australia: Raise awareness, Advocate, Educate To Support Passive House practitioners in Australia: Network, Discuss, Inform To Research issues relating to the implementation of the Passive House standard in Australia: Climate, Construction, Regulation.
Learning Objectives for Module 1:
- Define the Passive House Standard
- Calculate the energy balance of Passive House buildings, considering transmission and ventilation losses as well as solar and internal heat gains
- Outline the principles of designing Passive House buildings
- Specify the performance characteristics of opaque envelope detailing, including insulation, airtightness and thermal bridging
- Specify Passive House window systems, including performance assessment and fitting details
- Summarise the fundamentals of thermal comfort during the summer
- Understand the issues used to calculate Primary Energy consumption, including electrical energy in Passive House projects
Learning Objective for Module 2:
- Outline key indoor air quality issues assured in Passive House buildings
- Understand mechanical ventilation with heat or energy recovery including system design, detailing, sizing and layout
- Summarise space heating and hot water generation and distribution options for Passive House buildings
- Highlight important principles of cooling and dehumidification for summer comfort
- Complete the basics of economic efficiency calculation and profitability of deep retrofit measures
- Describe information to be considered in invitations to bid, construction site management and quality control
- Outline key information and support for occupants of Passive House projects
- Successfully complete exam style exercises, designs and multiple-choice challenges
More detail on the learning targets can be obtained by going to http://www.passivhausplaner.eu/upload/Appendix_I_learning_targets_EN_DE_2016.pdf.
This course is suited to qualified and experienced professionals in a building related discipline. There are no prerequisites to become a Passive House Consultant although knowledge of building construction and building design is an advantage.
There are three short courses that you could consider before commencing this course and internationally accredited exam.
High quality training materials with examination preparation exercises are provided.
Licensed copy of the PHPP software CPHD training manuals and Exam preparation material.
This course is aimed at building designers, architects, engineers, contractors, builders and teachers who wish to expand their skill areas towards the international energy efficient standards associated with Passive House construction.