Diploma of Software Development
Secure a satisfying career in software programming and project development with our software development course.
Immerse yourself in current industry software and web programming tools while developing practical skills used in designing and building enterprise databases, software applications, and addressing content management and versioning control.
In our software development course you’ll:
- learn how to use software programming languages including C#.NET, Java, Java Script, Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, WordPress, and Eclipse
- study web technologies including: PHP, PHP Framework, CSS3, HTML5, Bootstrap 3+, JEE Java for the Web, JPA, ORM, JSP, and Servlets
- work with a team on a project to design, develop and present a software solution to meet an enterprise specification requirement
During your collaborative project you’ll:
- learn how to gather information to identify business requirements
- translate business needs into technical requirements
- use learned rapid application development skills to build a software solution
If you’ve already completed a Certificate IV in Information Technology, or have demonstrated software and website development programming skills, you would be well suited to this qualification.
If you’re enrolled in this software development course you’ll also have an opportunity to study and complete simultaneously the Diploma of Website Development, resulting in a dual qualification.
|VTAC Code||Box Hill-5100251234; Lilydale-5100551234;|
|Course Type||International TAFE Course|
|Campuses||Box Hill Campus|
|Tuition Fee Type||Estimated Annual Fee|
|Service Fees||Estimated Annual Fees|
|Service & Amenities*||$155.00|
|Core Skills Support**||$75.00|
|Annual Material Fees||$249.00|
|Retain Course Items***||No fee applies|
* Does not apply to VETiS or Short course students.
** Does not apply to VETiS, International students, Short Courses, Graduate Degrees , or re-enrolling students who re-enrol in the same course.
***Retained Course Items are purchased by the student once prior to commencing. The course items bought by the student become the property of the student. Such items retain a generic application for other purposes outside the student's course of study (e.g. textbooks).
Annual student tuition & material fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Fees listed are for 2019 and may increase annually over the duration of delivery. Advertised start dates and delivery locations are subject to viable student numbers. For more information please contact our Course Advisors on 1300 BOX HILL.
- have successfully completed Certificate IV in Information Technology or equivalent, or
- have Certificate IV in IT level equivalent skills and knowledge, or
- be a mature age applicant with experience in the IT industry experience (selection interview may be required)
A minimum IELTS overall score of 5.5 (Academic). A minimum TOEFL score of 530 for paper examination; 179 for computer based and 71 for Internet based, or approved equivalent.
For other accepted tests, please visit the English Language Requirements page.
Full time: 1 year (with prior skills and knowledge in IT at Certificate IV level)
Full time: 2 years (including stage 1 - Certificate IV in Information Technology)
- have completed Australian Year 12 of education, or equivalent
- have completed a Certificate IV qualification in programming or website development, or
- be a mature-age applicant that has worked in the IT industry in programming or website development
If you don’t have IT skills at a Certificate IV level, you can enrol into one of the Certificate IV level courses.
To assist prospective students to determine whether a course is suitable and appropriate for the individual needs the Institute and CAE will assess all students’ language, literacy and numeracy and digital literacy by asking you to undertake a self-assessment review prior to the enrolment.
A course advisor will discuss the outcomes of the review and make recommendations about whether the course is suitable for you, and identify additional support where required.
Successful completion of our software development course enables you to become competent in a range of ICT fields at diploma level. Our qualification has a strong core ICT base, sharing the same competencies as several other IT qualifications of the same level. Depending on the stream you choose, you can apply for our Bachelor of Computer Systems or alternatively apply for entry into a variety of degree courses at La Trobe, Monash, Deakin or Australian Catholic University.
This course is government accredited and has national recognition
The qualification is aligned with the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level 5
Our software development course provides you the skills and knowledge to be competent in programming, software and website development.
You’ll have the ability to create new software products to meet an initial project brief or customise existing software products to meet customer needs. You would also be able to design and build a website against a commercial specification, and present, maintain and modify it to meet a client’s ongoing business needs.
After successful completion of our software development course you can apply for a range of employment opportunities including as an:
- analyst programmer
- program developer
- assistant software applications programmer
- software developer
- database support programmer
You will be required to complete a total of 16 units (10 core and 6 elective)