English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) – English for Academic Purposes
ELICOS – English for Academic Purposes is for students who wish to study certificate to degree level courses in Australia.
Box Hill Institute offers four levels of ELICOS – English for Academic Purposes including:
- English for Academic Purposes (Intermediate) is for intermediate students who have previously studied English, have a basic understanding of English grammar, structure and can have basic conversations with native English speakers.
- English for Academic Purposes (Upper Intermediate 1 and Upper Intermediate 2) is for upper intermediate students who have studied English at a higher level, have a good understanding of English grammar, structure and can have extended conversations with native English speakers.
- English for Academic purposes (Advanced) is for advanced students who have studied English at a tertiary level, or who have lived in an English-speaking country. This course is suitable for students who wish to study in higher education or tertiary courses in Australia.
Each level runs for a 10 week block.
$AUD300 per week ($3000 for a 10 week block)
Service and amenities fee $AUD150 per calendar year (fee indexed yearly)
Intake dates for 2018-2019:
ELICOS at Box Hill Institute has an intake nearly every 10 weeks. The class start and end dates for each intake are listed below.
Orientation for each intake (new students only) is held on the Thursday, prior to the start date.
- Intake 8: 05 Nov – 7 Dec (Orientation 01 November)
- Intake 1: 21 Jan – 22 Feb (Orientation 17 January)
- Intake 2: 25 Feb – 28 Mar (Orientation 21 February)
- Intake 3: 15 Apr – 17 May (Orientation 11 April)
- Intake 4: 20 May – 21 Jun (Orientation 16 May)
- Intake 5: 8 Jul – 9 Aug (Orientation 04 July)
- Intake 6: 12 Aug – 13 Sep (Orientation 08 August)
- Intake 7: 30 Sep – 1 Nov (Orientation 26 September)
- Intake 8: 4 Nov – 6 Dec (Orientation 31 October)
|Study Level||Short Course|
As an ELICOS student you will develop your English language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
ELICOS classes are split into two parts each day.
In morning lessons, you will practise English Language in a wide variety of social and personal contexts to develop your English language skills. Text books such as ‘Cutting Edge’ and ‘Speakout’ are used during the sessions.
In the afternoon lessons, your studies will be focused on practicing vocational study skills; presentations, report writing, listening and note taking, conducting surveys and interviews and reading of vocationally relevant articles.
Language assessments are conducted every 2 weeks and skills based assessments are conducted every 5 weeks.
At the end of each 10 week program, you will be given a course progress report.
Box Hill Institute only accepts enrolments from International students who are 18 years of age or above at the time of course commencement.
You’ll need to bring:
- A4 notebook (blank, with lines)
- a USB
- display folder (to keep worksheets in)
- laptop/tablet (optional, you’ll often be in classrooms without computers)
Course books and other learning materials will be supplied by the teachers.
Students studying English for Academic Purposes are usually preparing for further studies in the Vocational or Higher Education sector. These courses have different English requirements. When you enrol for your vocational course, you will be advised of the English requirement level for your chosen course.