English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) – General English
Box Hill Institute offers three levels of ELICOS General English courses suitable for International students or visitors, who wish to improve their English for daily communication in Australia and abroad.
Our General English courses include:
- General English (Beginner) is for beginner students who have very limited English abilities
- General English (Elementary) is for elementary students who have basic English abilities
- General English (Pre-Intermediate) is for pre-intermediate students who can communicate in simple English
$AUD300 per week ($3000 for a 10 week block)
Service and amenities fee $AUD150 per calendar year (fee indexed yearly)
Intake dates for 2018-2019:
ELICOS at Box Hill Institute, has an intake nearly every 10 weeks.The class start and end dates for each intake are listed below.
Orientation for each intake (new students only) is held on the Thursday, prior to the start date.
- Intake 8: 05 Nov – 7 Dec (Orientation 01 November)
- Intake 1: 21 Jan – 22 Feb (Orientation 17 January)
- Intake 2: 25 Feb – 28 Mar (Orientation 21 February)
- Intake 3: 15 Apr – 17 May (Orientation 11 April)
- Intake 4: 20 May – 21 Jun (Orientation 16 May)
- Intake 5: 8 Jul – 9 Aug (Orientation 04 July)
- Intake 6: 12 Aug – 13 Sep (Orientation 08 August)
- Intake 7: 30 Sep – 1 Nov (Orientation 26 September)
- Intake 8: 4 Nov – 6 Dec (Orientation 31 October)
|Study Level||Short Course|
This ELICOS General English course will help you develop your English language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
The face to face classes are split into two parts each day.
In the morning lessons, you will practise English language in a wide variety of social and personal contexts to develop your English language skills. Text books such as ‘Cutting Edge’ and ‘Speakout’ are used during the sessions.
In the afternoon lessons, your studies will be focused on practising vocational study skills; presentations, report writing, listening and note-taking, conducting surveys and interviews and reading of vocationally relevant articles.
Language assessments are conducted every 2 weeks and skills based assessments are conducted every 5 weeks.
At the end of each 10 week program, you will be given a course progress report.
Box Hill Institute only accept enrolments from International students who are 18 years of age or above at the time of course commencement.
You’ll need to bring:
- A4 notebook (blank, with lines)
- display folder (to keep worksheets in)
- laptop or tablet (optional – you’ll often be in classrooms without computers)
Course books and other learning materials will be supplied by the teachers.
General English will assist you in improving your basic English for daily use. If you wish to apply for vocational or higher education studies, you will need to satisfy the higher English requirements by completing the relevant English for Academic Purposes level.