Online Service Standards
At Box Hill Institute (BHI) we offer a number of courses that are delivered either partly or wholly online and we are committed to providing a high quality and supportive learning experience for you. These online service standards outline our commitment to you in the following key areas.
Student Support Services
As a BHI Online student, you have access to the same support services as on-campus students. BHI will provide the following support when you study any aspects of your courses online:
Availability of teachers/trainers/assessors
- Teachers will be available for enquiries about learning and assessment by telephone and email Monday to Friday for the duration of your course/module. You can also contact your teacher via StudentWeb.
- You will receive a unit or a cluster plan at the beginning of unit commencement. The unit or a cluster plan will available to you on StudentWeb and will have details of the teachers and instructions on how to contact them for the duration of your course.
- Are available for technical queries relating to Student access and navigating. Where the query is complex the Teacher will direct you to e-support services for assistance.
- Will reply to queries within 2 business days and assessment will be marked and returned within 10 working days.
- Administrative support staff are available between the hours of 9.00am – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. They can be contacted on 1300 291 634 or at email@example.com. Course specific information will be provided to you at the time of commencing your course.
- Please allow 2 working days for the processing of your request/s.
Student Wellbeing Officers are located on each campus. They can provide student support during business hours Monday to Friday (except public holidays) by contacting them on 9286 9891.
You can access a library at all four campuses. City, Elgar, Nelson and Lilydale Lakeside campuses are open during business hours Monday to Friday (except public holidays). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Library contact details and addresses are available on StudentWeb.
You will access your learning and assessment materials using Moodle learning management system commonly known as StudentWeb.
Hardware and Software Requirements
Your computer will need an Internet connection with the following requirements:
Web Browser: Latest version of Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge
Web-based content is available on hand held devices including mobile phones and tablets.
To view all the resources uploaded to StudentWeb and to submit assessment tasks you will need to have Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or an equivalent (e.g. Open Office, Viewer) installed. As a student at BHI you have access to Office 365, which can be installed on your PC, Mac or tablet device for free via StudentWeb.
Students experiencing poor internet connections may choose to attend any of the four campuses where free WiFi is available as well as access to computers.
Students can phone the IT Service Desk on 9286 9465 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday or submit a request via Student Job Log.
Student Entry Requirements
BHI conducts a comprehensive Pre-Training Review for all prospective students to determine whether a course is suitable and appropriate for their individual needs including your level of digital literacy by asking you to undertake a self-assessment quiz on:
- Career aspirations and interests including expectations and objectives;
- Employment and volunteer work experience;
- Software access and digital capabilities;
- Knowledge and skills achieved through previous courses undertaken and completed; and
- Make recommendations about whether the course is suitable for you as well as any identified areas that require additional support.
Box Hill Institute provides an online learning experience that is engaging and interactive.
Collaborative learning opportunities will be provided so that you can interact with peers, through:
- interactive discussion forums
- interactive live webinars with teachers and peers
- online chats
Ongoing feedback will be provided as you study:
- through interaction with teachers/trainers/assessors in informal discussion forums
- in response to individual queries and in relation to tasks you complete.
We will contact you if you haven’t logged on within two weeks of the unit commencement date. We will also monitor your participation to help keep your studies on track and will contact you if you don’t actively participate with the online resources at least once a month.
BHI ensures that web content learning materials used in online training are interactive and presented in a variety of formats to optimize the learning experience, including but not limited to:
- Guided content
Alternative versions of key information can be provided upon request to students with accessibility issues.
Mode and method of assessment
A minimum of two or more forms of assessment will be used for each unit of competency.
Forms of assessment will vary per course but may include a combination of the following:
- Demonstration of practical skills
- Work observation
- Knowledge questions
Where students are asked to demonstrate competency in practical skills, video technology will be used.
Teachers and Assessors
Our teachers are experienced in delivering online courses by regularly participating in formal and in-house professional development, which includes but not limited to:
- Design an online course
- Online facilitation
- Creating Assessments in StudentWeb
- Teaching and assessing in online environment