How Students Are Chosen For Exchanges
The first step is for you to research locations and exchange programs available to that location. You can complete an application form to indicate your interest in a student exchange. Part of the application asks you to write a personal statement which outlines your motivation for applying for the exchange. This is an opportunity for you to document reasons for wanting to live in the host country, and consider what you expect to achieve from the exchange. An official Box Hill Institute academic transcript is required as part of the application process. You may have a recent transcript of your results at home or you can request one from Student Records.
All applications received by the advertised closing date will be considered by Box Hill Institute. If required, a short-listing process is completed by a selection panel who will interview applicants. The selection panel will use a set of standard interview questions that reflect the selection criteria. Referees are contacted prior to the announcement of the successful applicant names. All applicants are informed in writing of the outcome of their application/interview. Feedback is offered to all candidates as requested.
When considering your application to participate in an exchange program, the selection panel will take into account your academic performance, your capacity to support yourself during the exchange period, and the written information provided by you on career, study & extracurricular achievements, goals and motivation. Personal skills will also be considered. Our selection criteria is summarised below.
Career and study achievements
- Demonstrated awareness of the value of learning
- Understanding of the value of integrating on-the-job and off-the-job training
- Awareness and understanding of new developments and trends in your industry and the vocational education and training system.
- Respects others and values their views
- Demonstrates an understanding to the impact of personal presentation in the workplace
- Actively uses goal-setting and planning skills (especially for career and/or further study)
- Contributes to achieving the teams shared goals when in a leadership role
- Takes responsibility for own performance
- Demonstrated skills in effective team participation
- Demonstrated capacity to be an effective ambassador for your industry, community, Box Hill Institute and Australia.
Achievements in other pursuits
- Demonstrates achievements in areas other than study and work
- Displays awareness of current social, economic and political issues.