PNG – Ok Tedi Mine Training Project
Customised Specialist Training Solutions
|Project||Engineering Training at Ok Tedi Mine|
|Client||Ok Tedi Mining Limited (OTML)|
|Country||Papua New Guinea|
|Duration||1994 – Current|
- Ok Tedi Mining Limited (OTML) is based in Tabubil, Western Province, PNG. It is extremely isolated and the township is totally dependent on the mine
- it is extremely difficult and expensive for staff to travel to other destinations for essential training
there is a significant skills shortage in the region and OTML have recognised this as an immediate need.
- BHI and OTML mine management have worked toward the development of ongoing training programs to enable OTML to provide their own training program
- a training needs analysis was performed including detailed skills analyses of their mining, production, ore processing and maintenance departments
- job description statements and comprehensive training plans for individual departments were updated, including HRD plans to strengthen organisational development
- delivery of tailored short course for maintenance staff
- delivery of AQTF compliant Engineering courses for mine employees
- the OTML training programs are now managed as an International Extended Campus
- OTML with PNG Sustainable Development Program (PNDSDP) have contracted BHI to develop a business plan and institute design for the proposed Star Mountain Training Institute (SMTI). SMTI will satisfy the training needs of OTML and regional training needs in the Western Province of PNG and the broader Pacific region.