There are types of accommodation options are available to international students. The International Student Services Office provides assistance in helping students choose from the following:
Local families provide accommodation in their homes. This may be ‘full board homestay’ in which the householder provides all meals or ‘part board homestay’ in which the student provides and prepares his/her own meals using facilities in the home.
In homestays, you have a bedroom with linen provided, a place to study (which may be in the bedroom) and access to a bathroom, kitchen and other facilities in the home.
Each homestay family is different. There may be an entire family living in the home, a couple or a single person. Households may be all male or all female. Many Australian households include a pet. Some householders will not accept smokers; others will accept smoking outdoors only.
In all homestay accommodation, it is expected that:
- students pay for their own telephone calls
- students should give at least two weeks’ notice if they plan to move out
- the provider should give at least two weeks’ notice if he or she wants the student to move out
- students are responsible for keeping their room clean and treating all facilities in the home with care.
Cost of accommodation
- Full board homestay from $AUD250 per week (meals included)
- Part board homestay from $AUD190 per week, plus share of gas, electricity etc. (meals not included)
There are private, off-campus hostels which students use. They offer short-term or long-term accommodation. Private and shared rooms are available. Hostel accommodation can be arranged on request. Contact the International Student Services office for more information.
Please note most students find accommodation in the Box Hill area and travel to the Institute using public transport (train, tram or bus).
Not all types of accommodation are available at all times. Accommodation can be booked prior to arrival. At least two weeks’ advance notice is required before you depart for Australia. Further details can be obtained from the International Student Services office.