You have rights as a student in Australia – but you also have a number of obligations.


Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding study experience. Australia’s laws promote quality protection and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework.

Read an overview of the ESOS framework.


Your obligations

Special rules apply to student visa holders. Breaking the student visa regulations may lead to cancellation of your visa. It is important that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities:

  • Course conditions
    Information about the course and university related conditions to which you must adhere.
  • Other visa conditions
    Other visa conditions, including finances, health insurance and school fee exemptions for dependents of research students.
  • Student visa regulations
    There are a number of conditions with which student visa holders must comply. Different visa conditions apply to you and your family members. Breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your student visa. Some of these conditions are detailed below, however full details of these can be accessed on theDepartment of Immigration and Border Protection website.
  • Meet course requirements (8202)
    You must remain enrolled in a full time CRICOS registered course, and you must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and satisfactory course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.
  • Overseas student health cover (OSHC) (8501)
    You must maintain adequate arrangement for health insurance during your stay in Australia. Note: Under policy, this means that you must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
  • Maintain student visa conditions (8516)
    You must continue to satisfy the conditions under which your student visa was granted. This includes that your course of study must continue to be a course in a sector that matched your student visa. You must also remain financially stable for the duration of your stay and have sufficient funds to pay for your study and stay in Australia.
  • Change of address (8533)
    Students must notify their education provider of their residential address in Australia within seven (7) days of arriving in Australia. You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential address within seven (7) days of the change.
  • Work rights (8105)
    You cannot work more than 40 hours a fortnight* during school term, although no work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation at Box Hill Institute. You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.

*A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday

For more information about working while studying, please refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.