New Business Assistance with NEIS
If you are keen to start your own business and if you are eligible, we can help you establish your own business through New Business Assistance with NEIS.
With New Business Assistance with NEIS you will:
- complete a recognised qualification
- receive 39 weeks of income support if you are eligible
- receive 12 months of mentoring from an experienced business mentor.
WHAT IS New Business Assistance with NEIS?
The New Business Assistance with NEIS is a government funded program that assists eligible people start their own business.
It aims to help people set up viable small businesses by offering:
- practical business training
- income support (if eligible)
- expert mentoring.
Box Hill Institute is one of the largest providers of this program in Victoria and represents the Greater Melbourne Employment and Training Services (GRAMETS) consortium.
New Business Assistance with NEIS is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Jobs and Small Business.
WHAT DO I GET?
Through this program you get:
- a recognised qualification – BSB30315 Certificate III in Micro Business Operations (see below for more information)
- Income Support from the Australian Government for up to 39 weeks if you are eligible
- Rental Assistance for up to 26 weeks if you are eligible
- business mentoring for 12 months, so you get tailored advice and the support you need to help ensure the long-term success of your business.
This includes group and individual mentoring sessions. You will be matched with a mentor from our panel of experienced business mentors
The Certificate III in Micro Business Operations is a nationally accredited qualification comprised of the following units:
- BSBSMB301 Investigate micro business opportunities
- BSBSMB302 Develop a micro business proposal
- BSBSMB303 Organise finances for the micro business
- BSBSMB304 Determine resource requirements for the micro business
- BSBSMB305 Comply with regulatory, taxation and insurance requirements for the micro business
- BSBSMB306 Plan a home based business
- BSBWOR301 Organise personal work priorities and development
- BSBFIA301 Maintain financial records
- BSBSMB403 Market the small business
- BSBCUS301 Deliver and monitor a service to customers
How New Business Assistance with NEIS Works
You will complete 8 weeks of free training and graduate with a nationally recognised qualification. The course covers the following topics:
- Introduction to Small Business
- Business Planning
- Legal and Administrative Requirements
- Financial Planning
- Operations Planning
The training in the Melbourne metropolitan region will be mainly based at the Box Institute city campus at 253, Flinders lane and the Elgar campus at Box Hill. This training will be 8 weeks part time (3 days a week) from 9am to 3.30pm.
The training in regional Victoria for the Goulburn-Murray region, is delivered through a flexible, blended learning model that is responsive to regional needs.
You will also develop a Business Plan. This is the most important step for your business. We will review your Business Plan and if approved as a viable business, you will be ready to begin Stage 2 of the New Business Assistance with NEIS program.
Once you complete the NEIS training stage 1 above successfully and have an approved Business Plan and a Financial Plan you can proceed to this stage of NEIS contract signing.
After signing your NEIS contract, you will receive:
- NEIS Income Support from the federal government for up to 39 weeks (if eligible)
- NEIS Rental Assistance for up to 26 weeks if you are eligible
- Business mentoring for 12 months. This includes group and individual mentoring sessions. You will be matched with a mentor from our panel of experienced business mentors. So you get the tailored advice and support you need to help ensure the long-term success of your business
Am I Eligible?
You can participate in New Business Assistance with NEIS if you;
- Live in one of the Box Hill Institutes service areas. (see below)
- are at least 18 years of age at the time of commencing in the program;
- Are not prohibited by law from working in Australia;
- are available to participate in training (if relevant) and work Full-Time in your proposed business;
- have not received New Business Assistance with NEIS in the past year;
- are not an undischarged bankrupt.
If you are a recipient of some Department of Human Services’ or Department of Veterans’ Affairs’ pensions, you may be able to choose to remain on these payments while participating in New Business Assistance with NEIS.
What sort of business is allowed?
If you are eligible, your New Business Assistance with NEIS provider will assess the business idea to make sure it meets the business eligibility criteria. This means your proposed business:
- cannot already be operating on a commercial basis
- will have an independent business structure
- is lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
- has been assessed as commercially viable by the New Business Assistance with NEIS provider
- will be established, located and operated solely within Australia
- will be structured so you have and will maintain a controlling interest over the business for the duration of your time in the program.
BOX HILL INSTITUTE SERVICE AREAS
To be eligible for our New Business Assistance with NEIS programs, you need to live in one of the following regions where we can deliver the program:
- Goulburn-Murray region
- Inner Metropolitan Melbourne
- South Eastern Melbourne and Peninsula
- Western Melbourne
Please contact us if you are not sure whether you live in our New Business Assistance with NEIS employment region.
Email – email@example.com
Phone – (03) 8892 2002
New Business Assistance with NEIS office location – Box Hill Institute, Level 3, Building 8, 456 Elgar Road, Private Bag 2014, Box Hill, Victoria 3128