When Box Hill Technical School for Girls and Women opened its doors in March 1924, times were very different. The 65 female students enrolled in subjects that were deemed suitable and included “Housewifery” reflecting the values of the era. But we also offered Bookkeeping, Secretarial Work, and Professional Dressmaking, proving that we have always prepared our students for successful careers.
Some 20 years later, Box Hill Boys Technical School was established nearby, offering subjects that included Carpentry, Sheetmetal, Machine Shop Practice and Technical Drawing.
Over the years, both schools expanded into post-secondary education, offering certificate courses in areas that included Business, Engineering, Electronics, and Clothing Studies. During the 1970s, they both became technical colleges, changed their names, and separated their secondary education from their post-secondary offerings.
In 1984, the two schools amalgamated to form Box Hill TAFE, a single entity that provided the most diverse range of programs in the TAFE system. In 1995, we became Box Hill Institute, and today we still pride ourselves on offering a diverse range of qualifications, short courses and consulting services across many fields.