Who is eligible for a VET Student Loan?
To be eligible for a VET Student Loan, you must meet citizenship requirements, academic suitability course entry requirements, your course must be listed on the VET Student Loan Eligible Courses List, your total loan for the course must be within the stated course loan cap, and you cannot have exceeded your general FEE-HELP lifetime limit. If you are under 18, you must also have parental consent to take out this loan. Details as follows:
For citizenship requirements, you must be either:
- an Australian citizen or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder or
- a qualifying New Zealand Citizen (New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements who first began residing in Australia at least 10 years ago when under 18. Refer to Study Assist for further details)
Please note that permanent residents are not eligible for a VET Student Loan.
Academic Suitability for Course
You must either:
- Have successfully completed Year 12 or equivalent; or
- Be at Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) Exit Level 3 for your literacy/numeracy skills assessment; or
- Have completed a Certificate IV or higher level qualification
Your course must be eligible for a VET Student Loan. See the individual course page to find out if available.
Not Have Exceeded Course VET Student Loan Cap
Your VET Student Loan/s to date for the course must not have exceeded the stated course loan cap.
Not Have Exceeded HELP Loan Lifetime Limit
In addition, you must also have a sufficient life time HELP loan balance available. In 2019, students are entitled to $104,440 in VET Student Loan,
VET FEE-HELP and FEE-HELP combined, over their lifetime.
Parental Consent Obtained if Under 18
If you are under aged 18, you must obtain parental/guardian consent by having them complete the Parental Consent-Student Under 18 form.